Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Vintage Christmas

As promised, here are some pictures of some of my favorite vintage Christmas decorations. I didn't put much out this year because of our kitchen remodel, but have enjoyed what pieces did make the cut.

My front door. I made this wreath by glueing on some vintage ornaments & a tattered dime store house to a basic artificial pine wreath.

I just bought this at the thrift store for 50 cents. It is plastic.

I have 2 white chairs in my living room. To keep them a little cleaner for a few weeks I covered them each with a vintage Christmas tablecloth. The green cloth was just thrifted yesterday for $5. Hannah laughed a critical laugh when she saw it on the chair. I guess it didn't meet her approval. LOL!

These crazy quilt stockings are one of my absolute most favorite possessions. I will be putting these babies in my will! They are hand stitched velvet and these pics don't do them justice. I have 5 of them all together. I bought the first one at the Oakmont Methodist Church Christmas Bazaar before I was married and was decorating my first apartment. One of their members had hand made them. Not thinking ahead I didn't buy any more.  Years later I went back to the church during their bazaar hoping to find more, but none were to be found. Fast forward another few years...and I happened to mention the stockings to a wonderful lady from Oakmont, Jean Hackworth, who owned 4 of them... also from the church. She didn't want hers and graciously GAVE THEM to me. Each year when I pull these out I think of Jean and say a quiet thanks. See, we never know how we can touch a person's life by the little things we do.
(note: Hannah put on these paper signs with our names on them so Santa would know whose stocking was whose - I am Katie but Mark is Dad, Ha Ha!)

Some of my cherished "putz" village. These were made in Japan and sold in 5 and 10 stores during the 1950's. They are made of cardboard and have a small hole in the back for a light. Two years ago Mark gave me a wonderful Christmas present of roughly 50 of these houses in a box, found on Craigslist. He practically had to beg the woman to sell them to him as she was going to send them to some guy in California. He pulled the "devoted husband" card and it worked. I love them.





An old photo from the 1900's. How romantic to take a horse-drawn sleigh ride.


A box made from old greeting cards. I love these and rarely see them in antique stores. I love how someone recycled their used cards to make something beautiful.


Another recent thrift store find. An old snowman candle.


A paper santa cutout


A paper and chalkware manger scene

We put up a white tree this year. I didn't bring out any of my vintage glass ornaments, but instead stuck with the family favorites.


This ornament was made with my dear friend Lisa one Christmas a few years ago. It was made by cutting up old neckties and decorating a styrofoam ball with them. Whenever I see these ornaments I think of my kindred friend. Isn't it great that Christmas ornaments can bring memories to mind each year that they are brought out?


Another thrift store find from just yesterday. A lighted tree topper.


Last, but not least, is a beautiful old book by Hans Christian Anderson, The Christmas Tree. This book is almost 100 years old and is still in wonderful shape. It is actually a family heirloom given to my grandmother Hulda and her sister Martha in 1912.

Years later my grandmother passed the book on and gave it to my brothers Lee and David, in 1966. My mom gave it to me several years ago. (I don't think Lee and David realize that I have it...they may try to claim it back from me!)

I hope you enjoyed looking at some of my favorite Christmas decorations. I have enjoyed sharing them with you and reliving the memories associated with them.

God Bless,
Katie





Pin It

Best Blogger Tips

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
I read and appreciate each one!

I would love to be able to respond to your comment.Please leave your email address or contact info when commenting. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by!