Monday, April 9, 2012

Gee Bees

This past Saturday hubby and I got up early to go to some yard sales that were listed in the paper. Yard sales have been few and far between around here this winter so when a few were listed in the paper we got excited. Three sales, several miles and a few arguments later we came home with one item - this milk glass mug that cost 10₵. 

I have recently learned that some collectible milk glass mugs sell for a lot of money on ebay. Of course I doubt that this mug is one of those, but for 10₵ I couldn't go wrong.

Later that day we ended up at the Goodwill. I fared a little better there and brought home $14 worth of clothes and household items. I found this mug there. 

 
This mug is milk glass also but with a color coating on the outside in soft blue. Think vintage Pyrex, but in a mug. I like the embossed flowers. The fun part came when I turned the mug over to see if there was a brand name on the bottom.


Turns out that this mug was never used by whomever donated it to the Goodwill. It came from a store that is no longer in business, Gee Bee. As a kid I always got this name confused and said Bee Gee's - like the musical group. Gee Bee was a department store located in Pennsylvania and some other surrounding states. The original Gee Bee store opened in 1906 but branched out in the 1960's to suburbia. By the 1990's the stores were out of business.  So, maybe this cup is from the 1970's or 1980's? Not sure. I just thought it was a pretty shade of blue.


Hopefully there will be better yard sales on the horizon now that Spring is here. I am hoping as it hasn't been worth the effort to get up and go.

We enjoyed our Easter weekend. Here is a picture of the girls in their Easter dresses.

 
While out and about this weekend, we also stopped off for a photo at this place. It is pretty close to where we live. We are big fans of the T.V. show Dance Moms so the girls had to stop and ham it up for the camera.


Have a great day!
KayteeJane


Pin It

Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh...mugs... Nice Currier & Ives one! I love looking for them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I would count my blessings that big mouthed Abby didn't come out and holler at me taking those pics! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Latrobe,which is about 30 miles from PIttsburgh. (Mr. Rogers, Arnie Palmer and Rolling Rock beer grew up in our small town!! Anyway, I also love estate sales and such, and I loved GeeBees when I was growing up. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom had a white mug just like that...not sure what happened to it :( I remember going to Gee Bees as well. I'm not far from Susan...I'm near Ligonier, PA.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
I read and appreciate each one!

I would love to be able to respond to your comment.Please leave your email address or contact info when commenting. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by!