Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cake Plates

I've had a love affair with vintage glass cake plates for about 17 years now.

Here is my collection on display in my kitchen. There are 10 pedestal plates currently on the shelf in a variety of colors.


I recently bought this beautiful amber glass cake plate from my favorite antique store. I had looked at it once before - thinking that I would love to have it for Thanksgiving to hold a pumpkin cake or pie. The next time I saw it I didn't walk away. I am starting to really like amber glass - a color that I didn't care for before. This cake plate is also much larger than the others in my collection, which is another reason why I love it so.



I also was recently given these two black cake plates - shown here stacked one of top of the other. They are not antique but were made by L.E. Smith Glassware. L.E. Smith, which is no longer in business, made glassware for many years out of their factory in Jeannette, Pennsylvania. Many of their pieces were sold by Martha Stewart when she had her mail order catalog "Martha By Mail". Williams Sonoma also sold some of their items. This same black cake plate was featured on the cover of Country Living Magazine one October. Looking at these pieces makes me sad in a way because much of what was once made in America is not anymore.



 

My interest in collecting vintage glass and specifically cake plates started when I first looked at this cookbook and saw several beautiful photos featuring vintage glassware.


When this book came out I was engaged to be married and looking at bridal registries. I really only wanted beautiful vintage items to put in my home - not the stuff that I saw at the department store. Luckily I had a friend who knew about my interest in vintage glassware and she surprised me with this blue milk glass cake plate as a shower gift. It was the cake plate that began my collection. To this day I still proudly display it in my kitchen and I love it. I have never seen another like it.


The plate has a beautiful scalloped edge and this raised embossing on the top.


I love the way a homemade cake is elevated to something spectacular when sitting on a vintage glass cake stand. Cookies, cupcakes and h'or derves look great on them too.

These type of cake plates make great wedding or anniversary gifts. They are functional and beautiful.  So the next time you see one of these pieces for sale, buy it. You will definatly use it. You are buying a piece of American history to be enjoyed for years to come.

KayteeJane

Pin It

Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. Oh you have some wonderful cake stands! I too have a fondness for them and have collected a couple and I'm always on the lookout for more! Thanks for sharing - I particularly like the blue one - such a lovely color and that scalloped edge finish is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your collection! I think I have only come across two vintage cake plates while out thrifting and I sold them both because I don't have any display space. Wish I did!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
I read and appreciate each one!

I would love to be able to respond to your comment.Please leave your email address or contact info when commenting. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by!