Friday, November 16, 2012

Get a Gobbler

I am drawn to vintage paper items - or ephemera as some call it. When I see vintage advertisements, post cards, greeting cards or food labels I will usually buy them. I love the vintage colors and pictures. It is like buying a small piece of art for very little money.

Here are a few that I've collected that I decorate with for Thanksgiving.

I especially love antique post cards. I have some for all of the major holidays. You can usually find a good selection of them at antique stores and flea markets. If not you can find several sources online where people scan the cards and allow you to download and print them.

I'm using a metal coil to hold the top card and a flower frog to hold the other.



This is a vintage flash card. Definatly not politically correct. Sorry if this offends anyone.


And this...
If you've been following this blog since the very beginning you have seen this before. I found it at a flea market. It is some sort of lottery/gambling card called "Get a Gobbler".


This card was never "punched" or "pushed".  Basically how the game works is you select your favorite girl's name listed on the card. If it matches the winning name on the card you win a free turkey. Some names are free while others cost a quarter. The winning name is hidden under the big red sun at the top of the card. Funny thing is I have never removed the paper sun to see what the winning name is.


Even more interesting than that are the names on the card. This gives a good indication of the era/age of this game. Names like Hilda, Gladys, Blanche, Irma and Olga are on the list. I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of any one naming their baby Olga lately.


Vintage paper items like these make interesting conversation pieces to decorate with. They are a nice reminder of the past.

Wishing all my readers a very Happy Thanksgiving!

KayteeJane

Pin It

Best Blogger Tips

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
I read and appreciate each one!

I would love to be able to respond to your comment.Please leave your email address or contact info when commenting. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by!