Thursday, June 6, 2013

Walking Saved My Life

Even though this blog is mostly about collecting and my home, I wanted to post today about a big change I have made in my life that has helped me tremendously. It is walking - plain and simple.
Over the past year I have struggled with depression. I would frequently find myself sitting on the couch watching reality shows or HGTV a little more often than is probably healthy. In one hand I would have a to-do list a mile long and in the other hand the TV remote. Fear, and doubt would cloud my resolve to tackle some of the things on my list. I was pretty much just getting by. One day I happened to call a friend on the phone and she asked me to come with her on a walk. I immediately said "no" - too much to get done today! She persisted - telling me that she herself had started walking regularly and that as a result of this small investment of time each morning she was now able to do so much more during the day than she normally had before committing to walk. I agreed and went with her. We walked 2+ miles that day. When I got home I felt SO MUCH BETTER! I decided to commit to walking 2 miles every day for 5 or 6 days a week - without fail.
I'm using a free app on my iphone Map My Walk. I bring my phone and just start walking. The app notifies me when I reach a mile, my pace, etc. After 2 miles I head home. I don't really have a plan or anything. I just walk. I look around. I pray in my head. I listen to the quiet. I listen to praise music on Pandora too if I feel like it. When I get home I am tired and out of breath but I feel great. It has cleared the cobwebs out. I feel better - like I can be creative again and make stuff. That life is good. That I can take each day at a time and get by. I am also leaning on My Heavenly Father right now. Instead of feeling guilty each day that I'm not reading my bible I am using my walking time to pray. Sometimes I just say "Lord, use me today, teach me your ways, may your strength be made perfect in my weakness". It is enough.

Today I spotted these things and paused briefly to snap a pic.
And Honeysuckle - lots of yellow honeysuckle - summer's perfume! It smells so good. It reminds me of my childhood.
I wish I could bottle that stuff. The only perfume I have smelled that comes close is Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal.
Of course the French would get it right :) Annik Goutal makes some amazing perfumes! If you have never heard of them before search them out on Google.

I'm not a doctor or health professional. I'm just telling you about something that makes me happy and is helping my well being. I'm thankful for friends who step in and care about you - that show up at just the right time, just when you need it. Sometimes you listen to what they are saying and other times you don't. I'm glad that this time I actually listened and then did something.

God Bless,
KayteeJane

Pin It

Best Blogger Tips

3 comments:

  1. I came here to thank you for your sweet comment but I also want to thank you for his precious post. I too have been in a funk and kind of feel overwhelmed with it all. Being a wife, a mom, managing a home, a blog, errands, appointments...I just sometimes cant get out of my pajamas. But I find if I walk it makes me feel better. So you have encouraged me so much! Thank you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie Jane, thanks so much for coming over to my blog and I agree we have so many similar tastes.
    Where do you live? We live in British Colombia for part of the year and in Arizona in the wintertime. I love to co collect white McCoy, vintage table cloths, Purex, the list is endless. Love your header.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. I need to start walking again. Love talking to the Lord and enjoying nature.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
I read and appreciate each one!

I would love to be able to respond to your comment.Please leave your email address or contact info when commenting. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by!