Wednesday, August 17, 2011

One Person's Trash...

You have all heard the saying "one person's trash is another's treasure". I wanted to share with you today some of the great things that I have found in people's trash. No, I am not too proud to pick out of the trash. My husband and I used to make a fun game of it. We would buckle up our young daughter Gaby in the seat between us in our 2 door pick up truck and head out on garbage day looking for "rusty gold". When we would see something good we would hum the song to "Sanford and Son" as our congratulations anthem. There were so many times when we would be low on cash in our bank account and then stumble upon something neat that we could sell online for cash or scrap the metal for cash. God really provided for us during those times in a way that some may find weird but we found fun. I wish I could show you pictures of the cool things that I didn't keep but sold. So many awesome things which included...a vintage Howdy Doody marionette, an antique child's doll-sized steamer trunk, train things, antique furniture, collectible hotel keys, and the list goes on.

What you see here are some of the things that I kept. All of this was found over several years - not all at once. I haven't found anything in the trash this year at all. Some years you find so many things you can't believe what people are throwing away and other years you find nothing. It is all part of the hunt.

I begin with my MOST FAVORITE FIND of all time - probably my most favorite item that I own, this old glider. If you know me then you know that I love this thing. I once worried that someone would steal it off our porch and my husband burst out laughing. He said "No one is going to steal that!". To me it is as precious as fine jewels....what can I say I have a junk collector's heart!


These came with it!!!


A great vintage World War II era print called "Serving the Nation" by Dean Cornwell which shows Uncle Sam alongside a train carrying military amunition and a steel mill in the background.


I saw this piece of furniture in the trash one afternoon while out walking in my neighborhood. I called my hubby on his cell phone and asked him if he would ride over ASAP and load it into his truck. He was able to leave work and come over and get it for me....how is that for devotion??


You've seen these before. They are sitting on my front porch. The croquet set and the primitive bench were both out in the trash.



This last one I hesitated to include because to show it will reveal to the world my mess of a basement. Oh well - this is life. This piece is super-cool. It is a metal frame of shelves that hold vintage metal wire baskets. Maybe it was once used in an old store? Not sure, but I am keeping it because I know I will always find a use for it somewhere. Right now it hold toys that my kids aren't playing with.


Have you ever found anything cool in the trash? I would love to hear about it. Please leave me a comment and let me know about your treasures.

KayteeJane


Pin It

Best Blogger Tips

7 comments:

  1. I love trash finds! Our neighbor once put our a deconstructed vintage dressing vanity sans mirror. The two sides are now lamp stands with the drawers making great storage. Right now a coffee table is awaiting some TLC to eventually find a home inside. If it's at the curb, can be repurposed and sterilized, then I'm game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to trash dive too! So far I've found 2 dressers, 1 rug, 1 desk, 2 playgrounds (but I only kept 1), 4 dining chairs, 2 wing back chairs that I am reupholstering...and countless other things that I kick myself for not picking up! when in doubt, get it and you can always recycle it to construction junction...at least it isn't in a landfill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your glider and those two sweet chairs! My daughter and I are always finding roadside treasures. Most recently she pulled an old dress form out of what looked like a pile of pure garbage from someone's attic... and one morning I was cutting through my neighborhood and discovered a 5-drawer spool cabinet from the late 1800's sitting in a pile of leaves at the curb. We live in an older neighborhood in a college town and it's just an unwritten rule that you put anything not worthy of the trash at the curb because there is always a college kid or two needing something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband is wrong - If I were a thief I would totally steal your furniture off your porch. :) I love vintage, I love red, and I love outdoor furniture, so you scored the best of all my worlds. Wow! I can't believe someone would throw that out. Great score for you!

    Visiting via Fresh Vintage....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That glider?! Get the hell out of town. Fab-u-lous find!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great article it was vintage World War II era print called "Serving the Nation" by Dean Cornwell which shows Uncle Sam alongside a train carrying military amunition and a steel mill in the background. In deed some of these would be recycle it maybe reuse it for something.Thanks a lot for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE CURB SIDE THRIFTING. ESPECIALLY THE PRICE. :b. I would not steal your slider. I would drive by and admire it with envy. We have a ranch in the country. One of my decorating dreams is to put places to sit all over it. For long walks then rest. Of course it is a must, the resting places have the character of that red slider.
    come by and visit me at Theoldecountryporch.com I would love to see you!
    Take Care!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
I read and appreciate each one!

I would love to be able to respond to your comment.Please leave your email address or contact info when commenting. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by!