Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Milk Glass Plate Project

A few years ago I made this "Frosty" plate. It is very easy to make and the possibilities are endless. I thought I would share with you how I made one in case you are inspired to try one for yourself.

I used a vintage milk glass plate that I picked up at a yard sale.  You can use any type of plate that you have on hand for this project. This is a great way to re-purpose an odd plate that you may have on hand or an antique plate that is pretty but you don't really use much. If you don't have a plate on hand try the dollar store.


You will need:
* a picture to use on the plate. I chose my picture out of a vintage Golden book. The illustrations in older children's books are charming. I copied the illustration on a photocopier.
*Modge Podge
*Glitter


Here are some of the illustrations found inside this book to give you an idea of how many sweet ones there are to choose from.

If you don't have an old book, you could also use a graphic printed from your computer, a scrap of wrapping paper, your child's artwork or even a photocopied photograph. HERE is a great website with vintage graphics that you can print for free.



To make the plate cut your picture so that it will fit on the flat part of the plate. You may want to cut a template out of tissue paper first to get the perfect fit and then cut your vintage paper or photo.

Next decoupage the paper to the plate. I used Modge Podge. The directions are on the package if you have never used this product before.

Once dry, apply glitter for accent. I used silver glitter glue by Martha Stewart. I chose to embellish with glitter because this is a snow scene - but you don't have to add glitter if you don't want to. I love glitter and would probably use it everywhere if I could.

Since my plate has a scalloped edge with cut-outs I tied a ribbon to the top for added flair.

Be creative - The possibilities are endless! Wouldn't this make a great anniversary gift for someone? Use a picture of the couple taken when they got married. Embellish the plate with glitter, dried flowers & ribbon in their wedding color or the color for a 25th or 50th anniversary. This would be cute hanging from the wall.

Happy Creating!
KayteeJane

Pin It

Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

  1. Love this, so cute and the glitter only adds to it I say! Thanks for posting how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! I appreciate your feedback. KayteeJane

      Delete
  2. I just pinned this onto my Craft board! It looks so cute and I can't wait to make one of my own.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! LOVE this! I am always inspired when I visit you!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
I read and appreciate each one!

I would love to be able to respond to your comment.Please leave your email address or contact info when commenting. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by!